Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

letters (the war)

THE WAR
The war in Afghanistan. How much do we know about it from the comfort of our living rooms and TV screens? Occasionally, when our leaders stroll in for a visit, we suddenly remember “yes, we are still there”. And that little silly thought evaporates before our consciousness can dwell on it ( because the TV screens already glamour at you with commercials).
I am a pacifist in nature, but my country wages the war and it says all, there is no golden middle. But again it is far and surreal. Until one day, when your loved one or your friend ends up there.
For a few months I start to follow the news reports from that side of the world. No questions, it is wonderful to know about all the progress and hard work that was done there daily. But my greatest concern is about which side of the fence the explosion took place. Mind you almost on the daily basis.
Most of us blame the societies in all problems in the world. Our opinions, morals, stands, etc. being manipulated by the societies we live. And there is truth to it. Though, it does not exempt anyone of us from the personal responsibilities and should not be an excuse for boredom and infantilism of our emotions.
One day, when I read the news where the soldier was killed by the roadside explosion, I experienced it only as information. And this thought horrified me. I suddenly realized, if my heart is not bleeding and my mind is not shattered into pieces from that news than there is something wrong with me, forget the society and all the intellectual crap.
For Christmas my son got a gift from his friend, US flag that was raised in the sands of Afghanistan on the September Eleven, Two Thousand Ten. I took it in my hands, smelled it and held it to my heart, thinking with tears on my eyes, how many wives, mothers and daughters hold those flags to their hearts and how much tears those flags can absorb.
I am thinking about the lost lives in the explosions and my heart aches for every human being ripped apart with such a violent force. Although, those who choose to depart such a spectacular way, they should. Our hearts and souls mast remain with the innocent ones whose choice was to live and protect others. And we must pray for those who pick up the body parts.

2 comments:

  1. Another strange Orwellian twilight war. It is interesting to me that the Soviet government felt more internal pressure to leave Afghanistan in the 1980s than (most of) today's democratic governments do now. Change from Volunteer to Draft military forces and I suspect that would change overnight, regardless of the form of government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. Because our kids are voluntarily dying there by horrific death, every one of us must support them. You can’t protect the volunteer. It is the insanity of the situation we are in. I honesty refused to take it to my heart for a long time. But, as I said in my little story I cannot stay on the curb line anymore. It is my way to protect those kids out there, to live their pain, their death and let my heart bleed. It is my way to be a human in this inhumane world.

    ReplyDelete