Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

fragments (airport)

Airport is the place where the old is left behind and the new has not happened yet. It is psychologically a neutral land. Airport is the place where all ties and connections are gently severed. I say it gently because we all believed in the bright future. We are arriving home with new attitudes, expectations, rested or exhausted, we do believe in home. And when we are leaving home we do believe in the excitement of temporary changes and promises of a new land. Historically, some of us have never arrived, but statistically we barely consider that chance.
Airport is the best part of any trip. I like the experience of detachment, even if it is just a temporary event. I like to be early and spend some time in the airport. I like to watch the departing flights, how they split from the land and imagine those last filaments of attachments dropping down to the ground from all the people on board. Now they are a close group of strangers bonded by one destiny for hours or longer. To be in the air is a thrilling event and not natural for humans. We always must be grounded. There got to be a reason for that. There have not been a man who did not envy birds’ ability to fly, but again what if they, birds, just have been expelled into the air. And all the energy they have they must fight all of the G’s of gravity that separates them with the surface of the planet. There is no room for extra fat, extra muscles or extra brain. What’s to envy?
Airport, I love the place. I am free from my worldly possessions and all the relationships. I am free because I seldom fly with company. I am alone with the airport. Before I board the plane I am in a free flow, I drift with all the passengers, moving chaotically in every which direction like molecules of water moves frenziedly but precisely to reach the boiling point. And notice they are passengers, they are not people or members anymore; they are not citizens.
We are passengers. I like to be a passenger without a definite destination. I allow myself to imagine the place I wish to fly and arrive, the places I want to go. I imagine meeting people or a person, I want to meet. I want to board the plane I am not assigned to and I like to arrive in the port which is waiting for my arrival. Until then I like to be in the airport, because it is the closest place from that special land where I am going to go one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment